Friday Food Club: BBQ chicken, steak, and vegetable kabobs with creamy avocado sauce
“What is a kabob?”, you may be asking yourself. “It sounds a bit like kebab – Is it the same but different? Or did somebody forget to run spell check?”.
The truth is, ‘Kabob’ is the word for ‘Kebab’ in Urdu, a language spoken across much of Pakistan and India, where Kabobs are extremely popular.
It’s easy to understand why. Kabobs are so flexible and easy to prepare. Take any combination of your favourite meats, seafood, and vegetables, run a skewer through them, and you have a delicious dish ready to be thrown on the grill whenever you’re ready.
This week’s recipe from the team at Ludo’s Primal Wellness is our BBQ chicken, steak, and vegetable kabobs, which come with creamy avocado sauce that’s great for dipping. This is one of the easiest meals to prepare (although the rub needs to marinade for a while), and is perfect for a hot summer’s day around the barbecue. Enjoy!
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
From pantry to plate: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2lb skinless chicken breast cut into large pieces
- 1lb of sirloin steak cut in large pieces
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into large pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped into large pieces
- 1 large onion chopped into large pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- ½ tsp peri-peri spices
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2cup lime juice
- 1/2cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ½ tsp of hot sauce
- 1/2tsp sea salt
- 1/2tsp black pepper
Step by step guide
- Prepare kabobs. Whisk together avocado oil, herbs/spices, and lime juice in a large bowl. Add in chopped chicken, steak, bell peppers, and red onion and toss to coat in marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes to marinate.
- Heat BBQ
- Using metal skewers, layer marinated chicken, steak with onions and bell peppers. Repeat until the remainder of vegetables, steak and chicken are used.
- Grill kabobs for 10 minutes, flip, and grill an additional 8-10 minutes, or until chicken and steak are golden and cooked through.
- While kabobs are on the grill, prepare avocado sauce. Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse on high until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Remove kabobs from grill and carefully remove skewers. Dollop avocado sauce on top and devour!
3 health benefits of this dish
- It’s a great source of lean, low fat protein which contributes to muscle growth and development while not being overly high in saturated fats.
- Red peppers in particular are high in carotenoids, nutrients which play an important part in delaying the development of age-related sight loss and maintaining eye health.
- Avocados are loaded with soluble fibre, which is known to feed the friendly bacteria in your intestine and help you maintain optimal gut health.
Living standards questioned as over 270k Scots turn to their local Citizens Advice
More than 270,000 Scots have turned to their local Citizens Advice this past year, with 44% cases relating to benefits, new figures have revealed. Citizens Advice Scotland (CAS) has revealed in its latest annual report, ...
Scots urged to be aware of travel scams
Fraudsters have turned their focus to travel and leisure scams as the number of people swindled rises as travel resumes post-lockdown. TransUnion’s latest quarterly analysis has found that scammers are refocussing their efforts as digital ...
UK food shortages: 6 ways to make your food shopping go further
If you’ve been paying any attention to the news recently, you’ll know about the food shortages the UK has been experiencing this summer. Images of empty supermarket shelves and struggling fast food chains are never ...
A lesson in school support costs
Parents and guardians are feeling the pinch as children have returned to school after being forced to fork out more than they think is reasonable for uniform costs. According to research from The Children’s Society ...